Simply Science Introduction


First Day Thoughts! 


So today was the first day of ED 5534 Science and Technology Methods Class. I went into the class with an open mind and not quiet sure what to expect besides what I have heard from past students. I thought the ice breaker was a great way for us to get loosen up while introducing us to the different topics of Science that we will be covering over the semester such as, Earth / Life Cycle and Physics. The treasure hunt was something new for me. I never had a teacher incorporate the syllabus in that way and I really found it to be fun and engaging for everyone, especially walking around taking pictures. As for the learning expectations, I am hoping to learn different ways to integrate technology throughout lessons. Technology is a huge part of students lives today, so learning different ways to incorporate it properly is one strategy I would like to take away from this course. I have not taken a science class in a while so I am looking forward to refreshing my knowledge and ultimately learning different concepts and strategies that I can take with me into my own classroom someday. 



Videos to Watch & Reflect


This video did not need any words in order to get their message across. 21st century learners whether we support it or not are digital learners. It is up to educators to find different ways to integrate technology into the curriculum. I strongly believe that technology motivates students, as well as allows them to be creative with their findings, expression, and overall development. As for the video itself, I think the kids could show a little more expression. They all seemed rather miserable making the video, but the message does still come across strong and is an issue I think many teachers feel conflicted incorporating in their every day lessons. 

_____________________________________________________________________



I was very intrigued by this video and all the statistics it shared. People see and use technology everyday, however, seeing the impact it has on multiple aspects of peoples lives was eye opening. Such as, 1 out of 8 people in the United States met online, or that 31 billion searches on Google every month. We rely on technology to fulfill so many need; personal, educational, financial it truly consumes every aspect of lives. I often see my generation as the kids who grew up with technology. We were not born in a time like today where we are consumed by it, but in a time where we did not have the resources we do now. If we wanted to see a friend we had to go to their house and actually hangout, not FaceTime each other. I feel fortunate to grow up in the time I did because I feel as if I got the best of both worlds. As much as I support this video, when will it ever be too much? As the video explains, we already have supercomputers that exceeds the computational capabilities of the human brain. I suppose ill leave my reflection the same as the video, so what does this all mean? Are we taking it too far?

_____________________________________________________________________



Sir Ken Robinson stated "if you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original”
Today, we are taught right and wrong, no in between. This statement really stuck to me as a future educator. It was a reminder to teach kids that it is okay to be wrong at times. Being wrong allows students to see things from different perspectives and as Ken Robinson said, “you will never come up with anything original”. Creativity allows students to be wrong, grow, and find their own way through life. He goes on to mention that we need to change the fundamental principles of how we are teaching our children. We as educators need to stop immediately labeling children, rather, let them feel free to be expressive in an appropriate manner, allow students to make mistakes and learn from them. 

Comments

  1. Lauren,

    I also agree that kids need to learn that mistakes are okay. As we stated in our treasure hunt presentation, you learn from your mistakes. Making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process and we should accept and possibly even promote mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, analyzing errors is a part of the scientific method! So we should definitely be engaging our students in the importance of making mistakes and how to learn from them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Me Vs. Scientist

Chapter 7-9 Reflection

Climate what?