Me Vs. Scientist


  1. As I think back on my science experiences, the first memory that comes to mind is a volcano I made in 1st grade that was left on my desk for my parents to watch it erupt during open house. I have always found science rather intriguing. I believe it is constantly growing and adapting in a multitude of ways, from its research development to technology. Science was always a subject I throughly enjoyed, whether it was Earth Science and going through the life cycle, to dissecting pigs, and the human body. Being hands on during experiments or simply gathering information, I found all aspects of science to be useful in some way. Based on my personal experiences with school I would define science as the observation, study, and application of both living and nonliving things.

    Stereotypes linger around what / who a scientist is. Our class did an icebreaker activity where we were told to draw what we believe a scientist looks like. Most consisted of males in a lab coat wearing safety goggles at a desk. However, as I think back on my own experiences every science teacher I had growing up besides one were all female. As I get older I am noticing that stereotype to diminish more and more.
    ________________________________________________________________ 

     Comparing Stories

    Why Scientist Do Science
    Jennifer DeMichele

    Although I found an interest in science I would not say it was something I knew off the bat would be my career at seven years old like the author did. We do share similar beliefs, to thoughts on science stereotypes. The author wanted to see first hand if scientists really were these super humans wearing white lab coats with their eyes looking through microscopes and other hi-tech equipment. As I mentioned the stereotype diminishing over time, this author proved just that. When asked both male and females why they chose science the responses were not complex. They simply have their own missions, are trying to discover new and helpful knowledge that could help with world issues, or that is of personal interest. A side of science I did not take into consideration was the time spent researching. As the author explains, scientist often spend years conducting research and coming up with the funds, or publishing needed to get their research across. It enjoyed the article and the different environments each scientist came from. From Barbara Peckarsky’s cluttered office and informal attire to Stephen Kresovich work space at Cornell’s biotechnology building, one of the largest and newest. It goes to show that the once stereotype of just males in a lab coat is not the case today. Scientist come from all different backgrounds and beliefs and do not need to agree or have the same mission as everyone. As Thomas Gavin stated, science, really, is just a way of asking questions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 7-9 Reflection

Climate what?